Freddy Hedley – Lamentations
In this conversation, we springboard from Freddy’s PhD work in Lamentations to talk about the ‘right to reply’ that is provided for God’s people, and how this can provoke us to rethink the place of lament and being honest with God in our church communities and personal journeys. Freddy speaks from a deeply lived knowledge of God and the Scriptures with humility, compassion and a genuine invitation to explore together with him. We do hope you enjoy listening to our third episode of the TheoDisc Podcast!
Dr Freddy Hedley is Director of Undergraduate Studies and teaches Biblical Studies, with a specific focus on the Old Testament and Biblical Hebrew. He holds a BA in History and English Literature, a PGCE in History, an MA in Kingdom Theology, and has recently completed his PhD in Hebrew Bible at Kings College London. Prior to working full-time with WTC he was the Director of Fountain School of Theology in Norfolk, UK. He is the author of The God of Page One (2012) and The Colossian Image (2016).
Find out more about Freddy Hedley HERE.
Episode 3 Outline:
- Start-01:20 – Introduction
- 01:24-06:04 – Welcome to Freddy and 3 questions.
- 06:04-14:10 – Overview of the journey of Freddy’s work in Lamentations – how it came to be the focus of PhD, and the ideas that emerged.
- 14:10-26:41 – Using Lamentations 1 as a springboard, we discuss the ‘laments’ or ‘complaints’ that arise in the context of a ‘right to reply’, but also as they reveal the breadth of expression open to God’s people.
- 26:41-35:05 – How do we navigate faithfully through what Jesus has done for us in his redemptive work, to a place of genuine lament within moments of difficulty?
- 35:05-39:15 – How do you see the changes happening within our sung worship to incorporate lament and an honest crying out to God?
- 39:15-End – Closing information
NEXT EPISODE – Tobias Siegenthaler on The Bible as Narrative
Find us wherever you find good podcasts!
TheoDisc is a podcast by WTC faculty and friends where we present theological ideas in an accessible way that will hopefully stimulate you to pursue your own theological learning and ultimately to deepen your faith. It is a place of discussion and debate, and a place to hear a variety of voices. We do hope you enjoy listening!
Come and Study With Us
We offer programmes in ‘Kingdom Theology’ because at the heart of our study is the belief that Jesus came proclaiming the good news of the Kingdom of God. Through his life, death, and resurrection, he has brought the reality of the Kingdom to this world.
Find out more about WTC Programmes HERE.