Scot McKnight – The Second Testament
In this episode, Kenny chats with Scot McKnight about his latest publication – The Second Testament – a new Bible translation of the New Testament. Enjoy!
Scot McKnight (PhD) is a world-renowned speaker, writer, professor, and equipper of the Church. He is a recognized authority on the historical Jesus, early Christianity, and the New Testament. His books have been translated into Chinese, Korean, Russian, and Portuguese. He is the author of The Jesus Creed, The Blue Parakeet, The King Jesus Gospel, Revelation for the Rest of Us, numerous commentaries, and is now writing a sixteen-volume series of reflections called The Everyday Bible Study.
Episode 21 Outline:
- Start-01:37 – Introduction.
- 01:37-04:20 – Welcome to Scot and 3 questions.
- 04:29-13:39 – What was your motivation for The Second Testament behind the translation project? How does this Bible translation differ from other more familiar ones? How have you resisted compromise by staying close to the Greek text?
- 13:48-28:33 – When translating from the Greek, how do you consider the history of established English tranlations in the process? Was this familiarity an issue for you? Your use of ‘new’ words for well-known ones, is very interesting, so how did you make these decisions? Discussing examples of these, including 1 Cor 11.
- 28:41-36:10 – As a translator, you make certain decisions that have consequences, so how do you make the choice in a faithful way? For those who don’t speak or read Greek, how can you reassure them that the translation process is being faithful to the text?
- 36:18-End – Close and further information.
NEXT EPISODE – Carmen Imes on ‘Being God’s Image: Why Creation Still Matters’
Find us wherever you find good podcasts!
TheoDisc is a podcast by WTC faculty and friends where we present theological ideas in an accessible way that will hopefully stimulate you to pursue your own theological learning and ultimately to deepen your faith. It is a place of discussion and debate, and a place to hear a variety of voices. We do hope you enjoy listening!
Come and Study With Us
We offer programmes in ‘Kingdom Theology’ because at the heart of our study is the belief that Jesus came proclaiming the good news of the Kingdom of God. Through his life, death, and resurrection, he has brought the reality of the Kingdom to this world.
Find out more about WTC Programmes HERE.