Bob Ekblad – Christian Nationalism
In this conversation, we look at how Christian Nationalism is a present danger in the US and to some extent the UK in its pursuit of power and exclusion over love and service. We do hope you enjoy listening to our fifth episode of the TheoDisc Podcast!
Dr Bob Ekblad teaches missions and social justice at WTC. He is a theologian and missionary. He has spent 33 years in international mission and is particularly passionate about working with the poor and ethnic minorities. Bob holds a ThD in Old Testament. He is an international speaker and has authored five books including Reading the Bible With the Damned (WJK, 2005), A New Christian Manifesto (WJK, 2007), The Beautiful Gate (TPSP, 2017), and Guerrilla Gospel (TPSP, 2018). He founded the Tierra Nueva outreach ministry which ministers to and people affected by immigration, incarceration and addiction, and runs a social coffee farming project. Through Tierra Nueva, Bob and his wife Gracie run the Certificate for Transformational Ministry at the Margins.
Bob also has a podcast called Disciple. You can listen to it HERE.
Episode 5 Outline:
- Start-01:20 – Introduction
- 01:24-04:30 – Welcome to Bob and 3 questions.
- 04:30-07:31 – What do you mean when you talk about ‘Christian Nationalism’?
- 07:31-12:04 – How do you see the idea of Christian Nationalism being played out in the USA, particularly in the church, at the moment?
- 12:04-16:36 – How does assigning a divine value on a nation state affect how we view Jesus and his kingdom? How does the idea of justice fit into us exalting our nations?
- 16:36-19:23 – In what ways has Christian Nationalism united groups that were previously fairly divided?
- 19:23-24:15 – Can we look at ways in which we can resist this notion that our nation’s future is wrapped up in the future of the Kingdom of God? How can we practically and prophetically speak and work against that?
- 24:15-30:00 – Do you think that if our focus is on a centralised national power, does it pull us away from the margins where we see Jesus at work in the Gospels?
- 30:00-End – Closing prayer and further information
NEXT EPISODE: Tim Mackie – Biblical Studies and Christology
Find us wherever you find good podcasts!
TheoDisc is a podcast by WTC faculty and friends where we present theological ideas in an accessible way that will hopefully stimulate you to pursue your own theological learning and ultimately to deepen your faith. It is a place of discussion and debate, and a place to hear a variety of voices. We do hope you enjoy listening!
Come and Study With Us
We offer programmes in ‘Kingdom Theology’ because at the heart of our study is the belief that Jesus came proclaiming the good news of the Kingdom of God. Through his life, death, and resurrection, he has brought the reality of the Kingdom to this world.
Find out more about WTC Programmes HERE.